Eric E. Flora
John and Sarah (Harter) Flora moved from Preble County, Ohio to Carroll County, Indiana in 1829. The German-speaking couple bought land, befriended the Indians, raised eight children and had a town named after them. John and Sarah were members of the German Baptist Church (Dunkards). John and Sarah, their children and grandchildren were “builders.” Some physically built homes and buildings. Others built successful businesses. Still others preached the Gospel in an eternal building effort. Some moved and built new communities in the wild lands of the West. Today, their descendants number over nine thousand and their town (Flora, Indiana) still remains with a population of two thousand and thirty-six.